21 Dec Season’s Greetings!
If I could put some gifts in your stocking, here’s what you’d find waiting you on December 25.
This time of year always brings a wisp of nostalgia for me. I grew up in a family of eight, and Christmas was a ten foot tree, weighed down by decorations and lights meticulously configured by my Dad, dozens of presents under foot, and stockings full of fun. There was always a special dinner on Christmas Eve, typically a massive feast of Atlantic lobster, and as we matured, we moved from attending Mass at 9 am Christmas Day to Christmas Eve, finally graduating to the midnight celebration.
Christmas morning was a chaos of torn wrapping paper, shredded ribbon, and busted bows, and by afternoon, we were banished to the great outdoors for tobogganing, snowball fights, and skating on the frozen river. By 6 pm, we sat down to an even larger dinner, usually a gigantic turkey or ham, with all the fixings, tout garni.
I miss all this.
Now, for the first time in my life, and it turns out, for my spouse too (and a combined 120 years), there will be no visitors, no large dinners, no parties, no kids, no siblings, nothing. I’ve organized Zoom calls to catch up with my extended family who are spread out across Canada, but Zoom is no substitute for the laughter and frivolity, the in-jokes, the shared memories.
I won’t miss this year.
If I could wrap up gifts for all of you to cheer you up, and leave them under your trees or in your stockings, here’s what you’d find awaiting you on Christmas Day.
- A swift end to this ridiculous pandemic and all it has wrought. We all want this.
- A celebration of life for anyone that you have lost this year. They deserve it.
- Meaningful celebrations for all those life events that were missing in action in 2020 (birthdays, weddings, graduations, successes, promotions, retirements, anniversaries). You earned it.
- A return to serious gainful employment. You probably need it.
- Tickets to a real in-person sports event of your choice, so you can again experience the manic energy of a huge enthusiastic crowd. You know you want it.
- A trip to anywhere that involves a passport and a departure tax. You deserve it.
- Fewer Zoom calls, because less is more.
- The ten mysterious pounds that you gained from your suddenly sedentary day magically melt away. Doctor’s orders.
- New work shoes, because, admit it, you haven’t worn any for months now. You have to have shoes.
- 2 hours more per day, freed up from your time spent on social media and video games during lockdowns, to be spent seeing the world. The world misses you.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I’ll return in early January.
Check out my book, ‘Bits, Bytes, and Barrels: The Digital Transformation of Oil and Gas’, available on Amazon and other on-line bookshops.
Take Digital Oil and Gas, the one-day on-line digital oil and gas awareness course.
mobile: ☎️ +1(587)830-6900
email: 📧 email@example.com
website: 🖥 geoffreycann.com
LinkedIn: 🔵 www.linkedin.com/in/training-digital-oil-gas